Wednesday 9 November 2011

Plan to Cheat (or Not to Cheat)

Most of the year I keep my treats to a minimum: the storebought stuff isn't worth it, and home made stuff is infrequent enough that indulgences don't get out of hand. But from Thanksgiving until the guilt sets in somewhere around January 3rd, Festivus plates o' plenty abound, and while it's one thing to simply avoid having these things in your house, it's quite another to resist the plethora of tasties that show up in the lunchroom, or get passed around at parties. There are two contrasting strategies that I have found work best (for me) for resisting temptations.

1. Planning to NOT cheat

If you're heading to a function where you know you will be tempted, make a paleo treat to bring along and share (option: hide a couple of paleo brownies in your purse, and don't share).

One week into the 10 week challenge I was invited to a birthday dinner for my manfriend's brother. Knowing I wouldn't want to cheat so soon, he warned me that his mom was making double chocolate cake. So, I baked a Banana Macaroon Pie to take with me, and found I didn't even miss the cake! Option: Hire Ashley to make you her They-actually-taste-like-real-brownies Paleo Brownies, which is what I plan to do for my family Christmas shindig in a few weeks.

2. Planning to cheat

I know this is counterintuitive, but what's the point in all of the burpees and overhead walking lunges if you don't enjoy life a little too! And besides, I find that if I'm constantly trying to resist cravings, I'll try to fill them with semi-healthy and unsatisfying substitutes, and end up eating more than if I'd just eaten the small piece of chocolate I wanted in the first place!

To control the frequency of these indulgences, I try to plan my extra special treats ahead of time; if I know I've got a trip to the Bean Bar coming up in two weeks, it's much easier to stay on track in the meantime. Last weekend, for instance, we went on a Taste the Season wine tour in Niagara on the Lake, where wine was paired with not-so-paleo foods (zero paleo challenge points for me that day... and I would do it again!). Having allowed myself to partake guilt free, it was easy to eat well leading up to the tour, and I feel confident that I will be able to remain wheat-free all the way until Christmas (where my mom's stuffing and my sister's apple crisp await!). If you still need some convincing, Mark's Daily Apple fully supports a little wine and dark chocolate!


While these strategies are somewhat opposing, the common thread is to plan ahead. Decide before you get to the party whether you will cheat or not. Mind you, it doesn't always work (I had a bit of an indiscretion at a Halloween party with a bag of All Dressed chips), but the success rate is certainly higher than if you try to make rational decisions when the gingerbread man is looking at you seductively with a "come hither" expression. That reminds me, these are on my "to try" list.

Anyone else have tricks to share for resisting those glutenous delights?

EDIT:
As I was writing this, Mark (of the Daily Apple) was writing this about "gateway foods" that tempt us during the holidays. There's even a link at the bottom to a post on how to politely decline a dessert!
"With the holidays coming, I always suggest folks think about how they’re going to enjoy it Primally – especially if this is your first holiday season since going Primal. Think about each event and how you’ll handle it – what you’ll eat and what you won’t."

Post a Comment