Saturday 5 November 2011

Kentucky Fried Haddock

Today something awesome happened. I accidentally discovered the secret recipe for KFC's chicken batter (ish).

This is awesome because once every year or so I crave that flavour so badly that I forget how horrid the meal makes me feel, and I stop at KFC. And then I feel horrid, and spend another year gagging at the thought of repeating the process.

But no more, friends! The most excellent discovery began when I found this recipe last week when I was having a childhood craving for Shake 'n Bake. I successfully shaked and baked my porkchop, although I didn't have the fancy "Nature's Seasons" spice, and the salt and pepper alone wasn't quite enough. Also, just to note, I did not grid my own almond flour, I went to the bulk store and bought a bag that someone else had already ground for me. I'm really not quite there yet...

Today, I decided to try the recipe again, this time "breading" (really, it's "almonding") my haddock. And when I tasted it, I could have sworn I was eating KFC....except with fish instead of chicken, obviously. But I expect it would work just as well on chicken or pork. Seriously, if you, like me, suffer from occasional inappropriate KFC cravings, you have to try this. Look, I was so excited I took a picture of my partially devoured meal.



...I really need a better camera, other paleo recipe blogs have much more professional looking visual aids.

Anyway, I ate it with my Lemon Cranberry Cabbage Salad (also pictured) that is my go-to paleo potluck dish, and which is in my side dish rotation along with "Salad Without the Lettuce" (or: a Big Bowl of Veggies).

Kentucky Fried insert meat (Paleo KFC)

Ingredients
Almond flour
1 whisked egg
Sea salt and pepper (I think I used 6-8 cranks of the grinder each)
A pinch of cumin
several shakes of chili powder
Haddock, or any sort of meat (I think)

(sorry about the imprecise measurements, I just sort of guess how much will taste good...)

1. Mix up the flour, salt/pepper, cumin, and chili powder in a soup bowl type dish that your meat can fit in.
2. Whisk the egg in a similar dish.
3. Dip your meat in the egg to coat on both sides, and then coat in the batter mixture.
4. Pan fry in some olive oil. I cooked the haddock (both sides) until it fell apart when I tried to flip it.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cyndi
    Wicked! I also happened to try it with chicken last night (thighs, specifically). Although I deepfried mine, which is obviously not so much with the healthy...so I'm glad to know that they turned out in the oven! I shall try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. works on chicken fried steak tried with beef cutlets the other night and shallow fried with coconut oil was delish

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chris Nardi
    Glad you're enjoying solids again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Would this recipe work with coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I've used coconut flour to coat other white fish before with a plain salt/pepper/garlic seasoning and a squirt of lemon afterward.

      Delete
  7. Having Trouble FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Want to eat healthy tasty recipes TONIGHT?

    Download your amazing Paleohacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete