Monday 11 June 2012

Cocoa Coconut Paleo Peanut Butter Cups

I love Reece Peanut Butter Cups. A lot. They were probably my favourite candy bar, and I admit to occasonally still consuming them in a bowl icecream from Coldstone Creamery. They're just so good, and really, what's a little peanut butter (and extra sugar and dairy), right?

I digress. The point is, I discovered a way to satisfy the PB cup craving (or rather, a lovely lady named Deborah discovered it, and I discovered her recipe, and now I'm sharing it with you!) without completely falling off the paleo wagon. If you want to be strictly paleo, you can use almond butter instead of peanut butter. These delightful treats are just as tasty as the original, in my opinion, and far less sugary. For reference, the original has 12 grams of carbs per cup (11 from sugar) while these have roughly 6.6 grams of carbs (< 2 from honey and the rest from cocoa, nut butter, and coconut butter...all good things!). MMmmmm healthy fats.



Cocoa Coconut Paleo Peanut (or Almond) Butter Cups
Original recipe from Deborah at blueravenwellness.com

WARNING: This is NOT ideal for a summer picnic as the coconut butter will melt. I made them on a fairly warm day and had to keep them in the fridge before serving, and they still melted in people's hands.

SUGAR NOTE: I thought these were delightful as is, but the chocolate comes out tasting like 80-85% dark chocolate, so if you're making these for kids probably I'd add a bit more honey.

EXTRA NOTE: Carrie doesn't like peanut butter and suggested caramel might be just the thing to put in the center instead. I think this is a fine idea!

¼ cup almond butter [or peanut butter if you're a Paleo slacker like I am]
4 teaspoons honey or maple syrup, divided
3 tablespoons coconut oil
½ cup coconut butter or coconut cream [I get this stuff at Goodness Me but it isn't cheap. Deborah has a note on making your own more cheaply on her site but I haven't a proper food processor so I bought mine.]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt [I used 3-4 grinds of my mill per batch]
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
 
12 mini muffin papers
1 mini muffin tin
 
1. In a small bowl, mix the nut butter with 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup. 
2. In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil over low heat, then add the coconut butter. Gently warm the coconut butter until it can be stirred into the coconut oil.
3. When coconut butter and coconut oil are well combined, add vanilla, remaining honey or maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt. Stir well.
4. Add cocoa powder. Remove from heat. 
 
5. Line each muffin tin with a mini-muffin paper. While it is still warm, place 1 ½ teaspoons of the coconut chocolate mixture in each paper. With the damp tip of your index finger, spread the chocolate mixture out to the sides of the muffin paper. [My mixture was much more liquidy than this and could be plain old poured]
 
5b. I had to put mine in the fridge at this point for about 20 min to solidify enough that the nut butter wouldn't sink!
 
6. Place a scant teaspoon of the nut butter in the center of each muffin paper. 
 
7. Place teaspoons full of chocolate mixture on top of almond butter. With the damp tip of your index finger, spread chocolate out so it covers the almond butter and connects with the edge of the chocolate bottom. [Again, mine was still warm enough to be poured]

8. Cool at room temperature [if you have very powerful air conditioning, or if it's winter and otherwise put in the fridge to cool until ready to serve].

9. Share with someone so you don't eat them all!

3 comments:

  1. Really good! And my 3 year old nephew loved them without additional sugar! But boy, what a mess! No for kids parties. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually kill fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete