Monday 30 April 2012

Double Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies

I know it may appear as though I've been a total slacker in the writing department, but I promise that just isn't so! I've been spending my evenings interviewing top athletes competing in the CrossFit Games Canada East Regionals and writing up their profiles (in return for actual monies!!). It's supercool to be involved and to have the chance to give some much deserved recognition to amazing athletes like the slo-mo muscleup queen Brit Holmberg. Regionals are in Toronto May 11-13 and I highly recommend checking it out, it's going to be quite a spectacle of incredible strength and stamina including 100 lb dumbell snatches with One Arm. In.Sane. I'll be the one in the MEDIA shirt standing at the finish line with a tub of icecream ;)

To make up for my absence of late, I offer you COOKIES! If you're wondering why there are only two on the plate instead of the 30 that I made, it's because I ate the rest (well, I shared the rest at a potluck, but probably ate more than my share) before realizing with two left that I should probably take a picture and consider ermeging from my blogging hibernation.


Double Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are a modification of Elana's chocolate chip cookies (notice that there were only 3 on the plate in her photo!). I subbed coconut oil for grapeseed oil in her recipe, which gives them a nice coconut flavour (you could do clarified butter instead), and I subbed honey for agave (next time I'm trying coconut sugar, I just forgot it existed this time).

Ingredients
  • 2 ½ cups blanched almond flour
  • ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup honey (I use raw! But not as much as called for, roughly 1/3 cup)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I used half enjoy life chocolate chips, and half chopped up dark chocolate bar)
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
  2. Stir together wet ingredients in a smaller bowl
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry
  4. Form 1-inch balls and press onto a parchment paperlined baking sheet
  5. Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes
  6. Cool and serve

ATTENTION: YOU ARE NOT DONE!

7. This is the most important part and turns the normal sogginess of almond flour cookies into proper cookie crispiness. Once the cookies are mostly cooled, stick them back in the oven for another 3 minutes or so. Watch them closely so they don't burn, and take them out when they start to get dark edges like in the picture. You may have a row of cookies that are already browned (if your oven is like mine, it'll be the back row). Leave these ones out.

If you're skeptical about the last part, consider the difference between toasted nuts and non-toasted. Exactly.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete